Friday, November 19, 2010

Mouse in the House


Have you ever tried to bait a mouse trap? It's nearly impossible. This is a necessary task since I saw a mouse scamper across the floor last week. It's weird to shriek the way I did with no one around. It's like when you trip on the street by yourself and you wish you had someone to laugh about it with, but instead you're embarrassed.

I used peanut butter on the trap - there's no way I'm giving up my cheese! It's a nerveracking thing trying to set it and just as I was about to give up, my Dad stopped by and saved the day.

Everyone morning for the next 4 days, it was like Christmas morning. I ran excitedly upstairs to see if anything had been caught. Disappointment each day. Just when I was thinking the mouse was a figment of my imagination, this morning I was delighted to find a little mouse decapitated by my trap! Hurrah!

It was a small brown and white mouse - it looked like a fieldmouse that you would find in a children's book. One that would be named Charlie or something and be friends with a wise owl and a mischevious fox. Ah, well.

I left the mouse in the trap all day to send a message to the other mice in the area. Steer clear - I mean business. Plus, I'm a little reluctant to pick it up and throw it out. Ok, ok, fine, I will.

1 comment:

  1. literally laughed out loud with this post Melissa - the final paragraph was pure gold!

    ReplyDelete