Thursday, February 26, 2009

The dress speaks for itself. However....

My wonderful friend Jen hosted the most fabulous Academy Award party, complete with red carpet, Oscar statues and champagne fountain this past weekend. We were required to come dressed to impress. I interpreted that as "dress to blind" and "dress to strike envy in the hearts of 80s teenagers everywhere".

I had originally purchased a full lace dress complete with four tiers of ruffles. However, perhaps after consuming too much champagne the night before, I had decided that it was too awesome and potentially wearable to don for the party. So, I ventured into my mother's pageant wardrobe from two decades ago. My beautiful mother represented Canada in the Mrs. World Pageant in 1987. Yep, that's right. Sash, tiara and all.

The clothes that survived that era made for one hilarious fashion show. They also proved that, alas, my 29 year old mother had a much smaller waist than I have today....at 27. After modelling all the flashiest gowns, I settled on this gold stunner. It was a delicate matter explaining to my mother that I needed the dress so I would be a shoo-in for Best/Worst Dressed.


I decided the best course of action and the way to adhere most closely to the party's theme was to come dressed as an actual Oscar statue.

After sitting in it for 4 hours, a small rash appeared on my chest and arms - a small price to pay for glamour.

2 comments:

  1. A rash eh? You must be allergic to looking this fabulous (and you do look fabulous).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I half expect to see Ryan Seacrest in the picture with you, mic in hand.

    ReplyDelete